South Boston’s Historic District preserves the tangible reminders of the community’s industrial, commercial, and residential development from after the Civil War to the 1930s. The town began as a railroad depot in 1854 and by the early 1900s it had become the country’s second largest bright leaf tobacco market.
In 2009, the district boundary was extended to include properties associated with the town’s residential and industrial expansion in the mid-20th century, including neighborhoods significant to the town’s African American history. As such, the boundary increase extended the district’s period of significance to 1958.
Specifically, the 1900-2400 blocks of North Main Street and sections of Ragland, Mineral, and Johnston Streets and Watkins and Noblin Avenues are traditional African American neighborhoods. These neighborhoods continue to be occupied by African American residents.
South Boston's Historic District was placed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.