Berry Hill

Berry Hill

A premier monument of the American Greek Revival, Berry Hill’s imposing mansion was erected in 1842-44 for James Coles Bruce, one of Virginia’s most affluent antebellum planters. With some 3,600 acres at its height, the plantation was one of the largest in Virginia.

This remarkably preserved plantation retains significant outbuildings, both sites and ruins of numerous slave quarters, and one of the state’s largest cemeteries for enslaved African Americans.

Berry Hill was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1971.

Today, the main house is now the centerpiece of the Berry Hill Resort and Conference Center, which provides accommodations and event facilities for weddings and corporate events.