The congregation of St. Peter’s African Methodist Episcopal Church was formed in 1867 under the leadership of Rev. James Nesbitt, who preached to the newly emancipated African Americans in the Colleton County area. He was the first pastor of St. Peter’s A.M.E. Church and St. John A.M.E. Church in Walterboro and Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church in the Round O section of the county.
It features Gothic windows and a tower with an open belfry. It is part of the Walterboro Historic District, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.