The African American congregation of the Church of the Atonement was formed in 1892 as a mission of the St. Jude’s Episcopal Church, a white congregation. The rector of St. Jude’s supplied services for the Church of the Atonement.
This distinctive Gothic Revival church was built in 1896. The wood frame building features a steep gable roof. A tower on the front, which contains the Gothic arched entrance, is decorated with fish-scale shingles and topped with an open belfry.
The Church of the Atonement is included in the Walterboro Historic District, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.