Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, which was organized in 1868, was one of the first African American congregations in Laurens. The congregation built this brick Romanesque Revival structure c. 1910. The church was constructed by Columbus White, a local African American contractor. Two bishops of the A.M.E. church have come from Bethel.
The church is included in the Laurens Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 and extended in 1986.
Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church has been demolished since its listing on the National Register of Historic Places.