Designed and constructed between 1892 and 1893 by architect Willis G. Hale, the Lorraine Apartments is one of the most luxurious and best preserved late 19th-century apartment houses in Philadelphia. In 1900 the building became the Lorraine Hotel when the Metropolitan Hotel Company purchased the apartments.
Father Divine, leader and head of the Divine Peace Mission Movement, acquired the building in 1948 from the Metropolitan Hotel Company, renaming it the Divine Lorraine Hotel.
Over the subsequent fifty years, the Divine Lorraine Hotel served as the center of the Peace Mission's international religious, civil rights and social welfare activities.
As the largest property owner among African Americans in Philadelphia, the Peace Mission employed many black Philadelphians in restaurants, hotels and small business, while also providing meals, clothing, barbers' services, transportation and lodging at reduced prices.
Following Father Divine's death in 1965, the Peace Mission continued to own and operate the Divine Lorraine Hotel until 1999, when it was sold.
The Lorraine Hotel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 27, 2002.