The Butler Street Christian Methodist Episcopal Church was organized by Rev. S.E. Poe in 1882.
The John L. Grant Estate donated property located on the corner of Butler Street (now known as Jesse Hill Jr. Drive) and Coca Cola Place.
A wooden frame structure was torn down to make possible the erection of the present church when Rev. A. J. Stinson was pastor. The church became known as Butler Street Colored Methodist Episcopal Church (changed to Christian Methodist in 1954).
A new church was built in 1920 on this site under the leadership of Rev. H. W. Evans. While the church was being built, the Butler Street family held joint worship service with Holsey Temple C.M.E. Church.
In 1969, the congregation purchased the land on which the church stands from the Grant heirs for a nominal sum. Hollis Grant provided in his estate an annual cash gift to the church.
There were many outstanding pastors between the years of 1882 to present.
This church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.