The Trinity African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church is the oldest continuously operating black church in Utah.
Trinity AME was organized in 1890 by Rev. T. Saunders when Salt Lake City was the capital of Utah Territory. The early date of founding reflects the presence of black non-Mormon Christians in Utah during its early settlement.
Although there were numerous black members of the Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS) in Salt Lake City, some of whom arrived with Brigham Young in 1847, they never formed a separate church organization.
Thus, Trinity Church ranks as the oldest African American church in Utah.
The Church was built in 1909 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.