Tuscaloosa’s first licensed black mortician, Mr. Will J. Murphy, built this two-story craftsman bungalow in the early 1920s as his private residence.
Materials from the old state capitol building a few blocks away, such as bricks and window sills, were salvaged when it burned in 1923 and used in the house’s construction.
Today, the structure operates as a museum focusing on the lifestyle of affluent blacks during the early 1900s.
The Murphy-Collins House is the home of the Murphy African American Museum.
This property is an affiliate of the Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society.