Built in 1900, this rural African-American church served as the religious and social center of the Brookland community for more than 70 years.
Through the 1960s the chapel's membership dwindled and the building fell into disrepair. When the chapel was scheduled for demolition in 1980, the Friends of Dorsey Chapel organized to preserve the church.
Today, this small frame meetinghouse-style church is considered an architectural jewel. Designated a Prince George's County "historic site" by the Historic Preservation Commission and restored by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC).
Dorsey Chapel was re-dedicated and opened to the public as a museum on September 11, 1996. The Chapel is available for rental for small weddings, recitals, and meetings.