Colbert Rosenwald School Museum was partly funded by the Rosenwald Foundation (grant from Julius Rosenwald for the construction of over 5,000 schools for primarily African-American students).
This school was built in 1933 and was originally called the Dayton Colored School. It was renamed in 1935 for Annie E. Colbert who came to Dayton in 1892 to teach African American students.
She was hired by W.F. Blair who owned and operated a sawmill 3 miles north of Dayton and who also wanted a school for his employees' children. Colbert and her older students built a wood-sided school in this vicinity and she taught there until 1914.
Although some Colbert buildings were demolished in 2010, the original Rosenwald School was restored and opened to the public as a museum in February 2011.