The Cleveland African American Museum, formerly the Afro-American Cultural & Historical Society Museum which was established in April 1953 is located at 1765 Crawford Rd. in Cleveland.
It is a nonprofit cultural and educational museum that aims to share the achievements of African Americans. Flewellen believed that everyone should have the opportunity to see the accomplishments of Africans and those of African descent. Although they were originally stored at his home on Harkness Avenue, it was moved in 1968 to a classroom at St. Marian’s School.
In May 1973, the collection (more than 200,000 items at the time) was moved to 1839 E. 81st St., where it was housed until February 1983, when the Cleveland Public Library (CPL) leased Icabod Flewellen's Treasure House building on Crawford Rd. CPL turned over the management of the building to the museum in September 1984. The museum building was renamed Icabod Flewellen in 1987.
The museum was closed in 2005 and reopened part- time in 2009 by a group of community volunteers.
These volunteers keep the museum open Mondays, Tuesdays and Saturdays 10:00am- 3:00 P.M. They have also spearheaded a drive to raise funds to restore the museum and reopen it full time.