Fort Richardson was founded in 1866, following the end of the Civil War, first staffed near Jacksboro, Texas by elements of the 6th Cavalry. It was temporarily relocated around 20 miles north to a location known as Buffalo Springs in Clay County one year later.
Initially staffed by Company E of the 6th Cavalry, the fort was later to be occupied by the 4th Cavalry, the 10th Cavalry, the 11th Infantry and the 24th Infantry. The 10th Cavalry and 24th Infantry were Buffalo Soldier regiments.
Renovation and reconstruction of the buildings continued over the years. Several of the original buildings were restored including the hospital which now houses the museum, officers’ quarters, and enlisted men’s barracks.
The fort was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1963.