Fort Lyon was composed of two 19th-century military fort complexes in southeastern Colorado. The initial fort, also called Fort Wise, operated from 1860 to 1867.
After a flood in 1866, a new fort was built near Las Animas, Colorado, which operated as a military post until 1897.
Several companies of African American (Buffalo) soldiers were stationed here during the Indian Wars from the 1860s to the 1890s.
The site of the first Fort Lyon is located on a secondary road about 1-1/2 miles south of U.S. 50, some eight miles west of Lamar.
Privately owned, there are no remains of the first fort, but the site is designated by a marker.