Camp Douglas was established in October 1862, during the American Civil War, as a small military garrison about three miles east of Salt Lake City, Utah, to protect the overland mail route and telegraph lines along the Central Overland Route. In 1878, the post was renamed Fort Douglas.
The 24th Infantry left Fort Douglas and went to Cuba with Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders during the Spanish American War. Over 600 African-American's arrived at Fort Douglas in October 1896.
It was officially closed in 1991 pursuant to BRAC action and most of the buildings were turned over to the University of Utah.
A small section of the original fort is still used by the U.S. Army Reserve and includes the Fort Douglas Military Museum. Fort Douglas was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and earned the designation of a National Historic Landmark in 1975.