Boydton Academic and Bible Institute was a Christian school for African Americans from 1879 to 1935 in Boydton, Virginia. It was established on the site of the Boydton Race Course where the original campus of Randolph–Macon College was built and operated from 1830 until 1868 when it was relocated to Ashland. It is part of the Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail.
Charles Cullis acquired the former Randolph-Macon campus in 1878 to establish the school. Vernon Johns attended the school. The American Folklife Center has five interviews related to the school and its history.
The University of Michigan has a collection of photographs taken at the school.
The remaining structures of the Boydton Institute are in need of stabilization- in the case of the brick ruins of the Main Building- and restoration- in the case of the two-story frame teacher’s cottage. The site needs to be made safe for visitation and educational programs.
For more information, contact: Preservation Virginia