Union Station School

Union Station School

The Union Station School is a one-story wood-frame craftsman style building, built in 1928 and served as a Rosenwald School. From 1928 until 1966, the building was a school house for African American children grade 1-8.

The total cost for the construction of Union Station School was US $4,145 (per Rosenwald files at Fisk University). The Rosenwald Fund contributed US $200; the Black community contributed US $1,200; the White school system contributed US $1,200; and the general fund gave the remaining US $1,545. The building was called a "one teacher school" floor plan and was a single classroom (22’x30) with a chalk board and wood burning stove, a "community room, and two small cloakrooms.

After 1966, the Union Station School students were transferred to the Lone Oak schools (Lone Oak Elementary, and Lone Oak Middle School) in McCracken County during integration, and the building was abandoned.

As of 2020, the former school building is still standing but is in disrepair, with roof holes and broken windows.

The Union Station School was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.

For more information, contact: Preservation Kentucky | Rosenwald Schools in Kentucky