Built in 1940, the Broadmoor Store is located at the intersection of the historically White Broadmoor Place neighborhood and the historically Black Soria City neighborhood, both of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Once a thriving corner store that was the go-to spot for groceries and gossip, the Broadmoor Store served as a beacon of diversity and inclusion for neighbors who were otherwise separated by segregation.
Operated by the Hutchison and then Doleac families, people who grew up visiting the store still point to where the check-out counter was located and share childhood memories of buying candy and sodas. A survivor of many storms, the Broadmoor Store has been vacant for over fifteen years but is still structurally sound and ready to be repurposed to meet a new need for these two historic neighborhoods.
For more information, contact: Mississippi Heritage Trust.