Named for the first African American elected to the Mississippi House of Representatives, John R. Lynch Street is the gateway to Jackson State University. Significant historic sites along the corridor include the COFO Office, Mt. Olive Cemetery, Masonic Temple, Ayer Hall, and NAACP Headquarters. To the east of campus, Lynch Street now consists mostly of vacant lots, with four buildings in yjr 900 block serving as a reminder of what was once a bustling African American commercial district.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Chambliss Shoe Hospital was operated by Jesse R. Chambliss from 1936 until the 1970s.
Following the shooting deaths of Philip Gibbs and James Green by Jackson police in 1970, Lynch Street was closed off and the once-thriving African American business district entered a decline.
Today, the buildings of the 900 Block of John R. Lynch Street stand vacant, damaged by fire and the ravages of time.
For more information, contact: Mississippi Heritage Trust.