James Sherwood Farmhouse, constructed in 1886, this once-remote farmhouse was eventually incorporated into the grounds of Holy Name College and later as Howard University’s Divinity School. Howard University purchased Holy Name College in 1984.
Like the adjacent Mays Hall, the Queen-Anne-style farmhouse has suffered neglect and a lack of investment. Luckily, the building’s owner, Howard University, has committed to stabilizing the property so that it can be restored in the coming years.
DC Preservation League looks forward to continuing to work with the University on bringing the building back to productive use, so that it is no longer a blight on its community.
For more information, contact: DC Preservation League