A Florida Main Street Community, named for John Quincy Adams, Quincy was established in 1828. Following the Civil War, Quincy grew from a frontier village into one of the Panhandle’s most important commercial, political and cultural centers.
By the late 19th century, the southside of Quincy began to flourish as an African American community with many residents working in various tobacco packing houses scattered throughout the neighborhood. A comprehensive survey of the neighborhood, characterized by one-story wood frame buildings, was completed in 1996.
Since that time, with no preservation mechanisms in place, it is estimated that nearly one-third of the neighborhood’s contributing resources from that survey effort have been lost to incremental demolition. The nominators hope to raise public awareness of this district’s contributions to Quincy’s culture and heritage in an effort to build momentum to preserve and protect surviving contributing resources.
For more information, contact: Home | Florida Trust For Historic Preservation