The Lake Hall School is a small wood-frame building erected in 1870 by once enslaved tenant farmers who acquired portions of the old Hall Plantation from former planter Mariano Papy after the Civil War.
Schooling time was tied to the growing seasons, and largely dependent on whether a family needed or could spare child labor in the farm or field. Purchased by Leon County Schools in 1919, the one-room school, with several benches on each side, a stage up front and heated by a wood stove, eventually closed in the 1950s.
Threatened by encroaching development, descendants of the Lake Hall community desire to restore and open the schoolhouse to the public as a historical exhibit. Recently, the Leon County Board of Commissioners voted to support these preservation efforts by acquiring the property. The nominator wishes to continue to raise awareness to restoration efforts underway to preserve this important part of the Lake Hall community.
For more information, contact: Home | Florida Trust For Historic Preservation