During the Mexican Revolution of 1910-1917, 35 military camps were established along the U.S.- Mexico border, from Brownsville, Texas to Arivaca, Arizona. Tucked between the Huachuca and Mule Mountains of Southeastern Arizona the last surviving historic military establishment: Camp Naco.
Camp Naco’s original adobe structures serve as a historic benchmark of the Buffalo Soldiers and the contributions of Black regiments who served in a segregated Army following the Civil War. After the camp was decommissioned in 1923, however, the site passed through several owners and suffered from vandalism, exposure, erosion and fire.
Thanks to the work of University of Arizona College of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture students and faculty under the Drachman Institute, Camp Naco was just named one of America’s 11 Most Endangered Historic Places by the U.S. National Trust for Historic Preservation.