Tullahassee is considered the oldest of the surviving All-Black towns of Indian Territory. Tullahassee is one of more than fifty All-Black towns of Oklahoma and one of thirteen still existing. The town was incorporated in 1902 and platted in 1907.
In 1916 the African Methodist Episcopal Church established Flipper Davis College, the only private institution for African Americans in the state, at Tullahassee. The college, which occupied the old Tullahassee Mission, closed after the end of the 1935 session. The A. J. Mason Building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. The Carter G. Woodson School is listed in the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory as a resource related to African American history.
Today, around 100 residents call Tullahassee home. Not much remains of the original town, but it is important to recognize its history and contributions to the state.
For information, contact: Preservation Oklahoma, Inc.