Chickamauga Lodge No. 221, Prince Hall Affiliate of the Free and Accepted Masons, was organized in 1916 by former enslaved and first-generation freed African Americans. The current building was completed in 1924 after the previous building burned. The members of this lodge were community leaders and local Odd Fellows. The lodge was also the location for the chartering and meeting of the Walker County African American VFW in the 1940s. A chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, chartered in 1944 as a woman’s group, also met there.
The interior and exterior of the building need repair. Pressing needs include a new roof and structural evaluation. Now cared for by local Masons from other regional lodges, the building remains an important space for the African American community in Chickamauga.
Chickamauga Lodge No. 221 was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 6, 2006.
For more information contact: