St. Matthews High School of Natchitoches Parish was the first public high school building constructed for African Americans in Lower Natchitoches Parish.
When it opened in 1952, it was one of two public senior high schools for African Americans in the Natchitoches Parish. The other high school, Central High School was located 25 miles away from St. Matthews. Students from St. Matthews Junior High had to transfer to Central High School in order to receive a high school education. The school grew from a “church school” serving elementary schools in 1916, until its growth to a full fledged high school in 1952.
St. Matthews High School discontinued in 1989. The St. Matthew School Community Association, Inc. was formed with the intention of converting the school into a community center.
St. Matthews High School was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.