Badin-Roque House

Badin-Roque House

The Badin-Roque House was originally built by Jean Baptiste Metoyer, grandson of Marie Thérèse Coincoin and Claude Thomas Pierre Metoyer.

Metoyer was a French soldier and planter, and Marie Thérèse was an African slave owned by Metoyer and later freed by him. Children from their 25-year liaison formed the core of the Cane River Creole community in Isle Brevelle.

The Catholic Diocese of Natchitoches later purchased the house and converted it into the first convent and school for St. Augustine Catholic Church. The church sold the house in 1859.

It passed through the hands of several owners over the next few decades before being acquired by the Badin-Roque family.

The Catholic Diocese of Natchitoches later purchased the house and converted it into the first convent and school for St. Augustine Catholic Church.

In 1979, the St. Augustine Historical Society purchased the house, eventually operating it as historic site. The house has been under restoration since 1999.

The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.