Union Bank

Union Bank

The Union Bank of Tallahassee, Florida was established around 1830 and the bank building constructed for it in 1841. It is Florida's oldest surviving bank building. It is located at Apalachee Parkway and Calhoun Street and is now a museum and archive and research center for African American history.

The Union Bank building was completed in 1841 as Tallahassee's first bank by William Williams when Florida was still a territory (Florida Territory). It was chartered to help finance local cotton plantations. It closed in 1843 due to the Seminole Wars, unsound banking practices, and the long recession following the Panic of 1837.

In 1847, the bank was purchased by cotton plantation owners William Bailey and Isaac Mitchell.

After the US Civil War, the bank building reopened as the Freedman's Savings and Trust Company in 1868 for emancipated slaves.

It later served as a church, feed store, art house, coffee house, dance studio, locksmith's shop, beauty shop, and shoe factory.

In 1971, the bank building was moved from its original site on the west side of Adams Street between College Avenue and Park Avenue, to just east of the Capitol on Apalachee Parkway and Calhoun Avenue where

it underwent restoration and was opened as a museum in 1984. it houses special exhibits from the Florida A&M University Black Archives.

On February 24, 1971, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.