Princess Anne County Training School was the first high school for African Americans in Princess Anne County, now known as Virginia Beach.
The school was a result of the African American community in the 1930s working together to raise money to build a school so their children could receive a proper education.
The initial money raised was used to purchase four acres of land on Witchduck Road. The school board received the land, and $2000, but it made no attempt to build a school.
As a result, in 1934, a temporary school was established on the property of Union Baptist Church. In 1938, a four-classroom high school was finally built and, between 1949 and 1962, several additions were made to the school.
In 1962, the Princess Anne County Training School changed its name to Union Kempsville High School. After over 30 years of operation, Union Kempsville High School graduated its last class in 1969 due to the city-wide integration of schools.
Today the legacy of the school continues with the establishment of the museum which shares stories of family, community, sacrifice, and the importance of education.
The museum is located within Virginia Beach City Public Schools' Renaissance Academy.