In 2013 after years of renovation, the Rosenwald School Building in Prentiss, Mississippi, remembered for its historical, cultural and educational significance, was restored for the community of Jeff Davis County by the Prentiss Institute Board of Trustees.
The Rosenwald Building was erected in 1926, with funds from the Julius Rosenwald Rural School Building Program, on the campus of Prentiss Institute.
The school was founded by Professor of Jonas E. and his wife, Bertha L. Johnson in 1907 and provided education to African Americans in Mississippi. The Rosenwald was identified by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, as one of 11 most endangered historic places.
Today the Rosenwald is recognized as a historic landmark by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.