The New York Amsterdam News Building is a historic rowhouse at 2293 Seventh Avenue in the Harlem neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City.
It is historically significant as the publishing home of the New York Amsterdam News between 1916 and 1938. During this period, the newspaper became one of the nation's most influential publications covering African-American issues.
It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976.
The New York Amsterdam News was founded in 1909 by James H. Anderson at his home on West 165 Street.
That year marked a shift in the African-American community away from the accommodationist policies of Booker T. Washington, and toward the a more activist attitude, exemplified in part by the founding of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
The News grew rapidly, and in 1916 moved into this building. Initially founded to serve the local Harlem community, it greatly expanded its reach, speaking out on national issues, and eventually reaching a nationwide audience. Because of this growth, it again outgrew these quarters, and moved to its present facilities in 1938.
The Amsterdam News now publishes out of a building at 2340 Frederick Douglass Boulevard.