Writer, educator, lawyer, abolitionist and the first black newspaperwoman in North America, Mary Ann Shadd Cary lived in this brick row house from 1881 to 1885.
Cary was one of the most outspoken and articulate female proponents of the abolition of slavery of her day, and promoted equality for all people. Shadd Cary’s brick row-house is a lasting reminder of her extraordinary civil rights activism and her defiance of societal constraints.
The house was declared a National Historic Landmark on December 8, 1976 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The home is a private residence and not open to the public.