Ward's Corner Store is significant as the earliest remaining evidence of black commerce in Greenville, and as the best remaining local example of a late 19th/early 20th century neighborhood-based business.
The late 19th century marked the beginning of a movement for economic independence among blacks. This movement resulted in the stimulation of black-owned business- es during the 1880's and 1890's, and the subsequent establishment of a national network of black businessmen (National Negro Business League) at the turn of the century.
Paralleling the early development of the sur- rounding black residential neighborhood, Ward's Corner Store, established in the late 1880's, illustrates an economic strategy employed by black professionals to supplement their income, and reflects the social impact of small neighborhood businesses that generally served beyond their obvious functions to accommodate the opportunity for patrons to openly and comfort- ably engage in informed interaction and socialization.
Ward Nicholson Corner Store was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 1986.
For more information contact: