The Oak Grove School is a historic two-room Rosenwald School that was built to serve the local African-American community.
The school was constructed in 1925 under the Julius Rosenwald School Building Fund program according to the designs of Samuel Smith from Tuskegee Institute. The cost of the school was $3000. Of that sum, African-Americans raised $1,400 while the State of Alabama contributed $900 and the Julius Rosenwald Fund contributed $700. The school was open until 1968.
The building is now being used as a community heritage center. The school is located 1/4 west of Highway 69 approximately 3.1 miles north of the intersection of Highways 69 and 80 in south Hale County.
The school was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 3, 1998 as a part of The Rosenwald School Building Fund and Associated Buildings Multiple Property Submission.
Now, the school is owned by the Oak Grove School Heritage Center. They operate the building, currently as a museum, but years of deferred maintenance are starting to show. The group needs support with planning and funding.
For more information contact: