The Mountain View Officers' Club was constructed in 1942 by Del Webb and remains one of the most significant examples of a World War II-era military service club in the United States for African-American officers.
From 1892 to 1946, Fort Huachuca claimed the highest number of African-American soldiers at a military installation in the United States. To mobilize for World War II, the military began a large-scale building effort at Fort Huachuca, specifically to house the “all-black” infantry divisions, and built barracks, hospitals, maintenance structures, offices, warehouses and recreational facilities, all of which were segregated and, in many cases, built in duplicate.
Over 1,400 temporary buildings were constructed in a 75,000-acre area known as the New Cantonment Area. Few of these buildings remain today, and the Mountain View Officers’ Club is the only remaining recreational facility left at Fort Huachuca from this period.
Vacant since 1998, the U.S. Army Garrison is proposing to demolish the Mountain View Officers’ Club, claiming that it no longer has a need or funding to support the maintenance of this building. The National Trust and their partners believe viable reuse options exist. The Mountain View Officers’ Club was listed as one of America’s 11 Most Endangered Historic Places in 2013.
For more information contact: