Mary Church Terrell was a distinguished educator, suffragette, and civil rights activist. Among other accomplishments, she was the first president of the National Association of Colored Women and was the first African American to serve on the D.C. School Board. Her husband, Robert Terrell, was the first African-American judge in the D.C. municipal court.
They were among the most prominent leaders of the African American community and their purchase of this house was instrumental in the integration of LeDroit Park. Built around 1900, the house received National Historic Landmark designation and is within the LeDroit Park Historic District, but the threat of demolition by neglect remains.
Despite sporadic attempts at restoration, beginning in 2008, the house remains vacant. In 2018, Howard University, the owner of this Landmark received a grant from the Department of the Interior and the National Park Service to restore the home.
For more information contact: