Macon Hotel and Lounge

Macon Hotel and Lounge

Built as the Macon Hotel in 1888, the building is a good example of the iron frame commercial brick structures of the era with stylized cornices and window corbels highlighting the exterior. The Macon became best known as the regular lodging of African American jazz musicians visiting Columbus in the early to mid-20th century.

After World War II, the Macon was transformed from a hotel to a club and lounge. The Macon is listed in the Columbus Register of Historic Properties and is very significant to jazz history in our city.

An ideal reuse would capitalize on that tradition. Z on Main LLC purchased the building in 2017 and announced plans to rehabilitate the building into micro-unit apartments. No progress has been made to date, and the building is threatened with continued deterioration and vacancy.

For more information contact:

  • Columbus Landmarks
  • 57 Jefferson Avenue
  • Columbus, OH 43215
  • Phone: (614) 221-0227